Saturday, May 19, 2012

Remember the social contract

Omne trium perfectum. Everything that comes in threes is perfect. This, evidently, includes bad luck.

My parents were locked out of their store last week. The landlord increased the monthly rent from $3K to just over $5K. Although he didn't give them any prior notice, it would be more expensive to duke it out in court. So, after a series of unfortunate events, my parents are now forced to leave with the supervision of a $40/hour bailiff on the premises (a location they've occupied for the past 15 years).

Man, it must feel nice to sit back and evict whomever you like because you're not satisfied with the amount going into your coffers.  All I can do is shake my head and quote Jean-Jacques Rousseau:
"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" (Of The Social Contract, Or Principles of Political Right, 1762).
Is it any wonder that the global protest movements (however undefined and, at times, willfully violent) are rising up in such numbers and frequency? It's as if there is a collective epiphany to rid the powers of their determination to keep lives, in the words of Thomas Hobbes, "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short" (Leviathan, 1651).

We are experiencing an unprecedented technological revolution, yet roadblocks are put in place to prevent access to generic drugs, proper education, and environmental preservation.  Instead, these discoveries are implemented to computerize the banking system with little oversight, purchase costly and unnecessary fighter jets, and invested in the fight against wrinkles as if aging is akin to a disease.

Paul says I read too much and need to stop allowing what I read affect my life. I tell him I'm afraid to bring a child into a world that is in such turmoil. He says I'm not even close to being ready to conceive. (True.)  I tell him I'm afraid I will never have the earning power to take care of "it" and and nurture "it" and prevent "it" from becoming a serial killer with a penchant for sniffing women's panties.

He says I should take a nap. I think I need a vacation. But then I start worrying about my personal finances ... and the cycle begins.

No comments: