Thursday, May 03, 2012

Another stint in unemployment

I got fired from my job as an executive assistant. Again. This time, I was at least given a reason.  My boss made a request for six Comic Con tickets.  Matt, our LA contact, told me he had permission to ask our former parent company for only one or two (since it was embarrassing enough to crawl back to them for help). She responds: "We're an animation studio and we can't get six tickets for me? I want six tickets!"  (This trip wasn't even business related.)

So I wrote back the now-infamous email: "[My boss] is adamant that she wants 6 (!!!) tickets. Since I don't have a firm grasp of the limitations/obstacles you're facing, would you mind speaking to [her] directly? I tried to explain that registration ended in February, but she's insisting …"

Matt got mad at her, sent my email to our company prez, who sent a nasty email back reprimanding her for her behaviour. In the crossfire, I was fired because my email was "disrespectful" and thus, disloyal. It didn't help matters that when I, upon her request, forwarded my email to her, I edited out the last sentence in fear of offending her (as she is sensitive to real and perceived slights) and my omission was easily discovered.

I had a feeling that I was signing my own proverbial death warrant when I sent that email because, although relatively benign, it was clear my contempt for her was struggling to escape in nearly all my daily correspondences. The whole studio secretly calls her a "3-year-old with a hand grenade," a perfect descriptor of her childish tyranny ever since she was promoted.

When she broke the news to me, she also said we didn't "click" and hadn't "clicked" in a long time. In my defense, it's hard to develop chemistry with someone so self-absorbed and narcissistic. Although in her defense, my work had been slipping lately and I was making stupid mistakes.  Part of it was because I was dissatisfied with my job: the description had changed drastically after she got her raise. I was more her personal assistant (e.g. cleaning out old food and dirty utensils from her desks and running errands) than an executive assistant (e.g. production-related work).  Simply put, I was bored and didn't make an effort to improve. (I was searching for jobs on company time for a couple of weeks by then.)

***

Paul received his acceptance into a business mentorship program today. Basically, it means the organization has found a match for him in the community who he'll meet once a month and produce a report for every month for six months. I only know of one entrepreneur in my circle of friends (and we're only acquaintances), so I think this will be valuable guidance for us as a photography venture.

Every time I look at a list of career possibilities, I become restless, anxious, and scared. I know there are no shortage of people who hate their jobs or don't have one, but for me, it's an internal ordeal. I was reading the recent Vanity Fair excerpt about Barack Obama's early life after graduating from Columbia University and it was so relatable! He was also drifting from job to job that paid the bills but held no meaning until life grabbed him by the balls and took him to Chicago (where the first Black mayor was elected earlier that year) and the city had a need for community organizers.

I feel like maybe getting fired is that sign; the clouds opening up and the angels crying, "Hallelujah!" My job wasn't difficult (my boss was, but not the job) and I know people at that company who had way bigger responsibilities. And yet ... I couldn't hold onto it. Maybe I'm not meant to hold on to it - I wasn't happy anyway. 

No comments: