Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Good day? Great day!

The morning started with a phone call. I was informed that my name was selected in a televised draw. The prize? A trip for 4 for 25 days across seven countries. It starts in Hong Kong and ends in Argentina.

"Get outta here!" I said. "Is this free?"

I suspected some sort of scam.

A couple of weeks ago I completed a telephone survey. The lady on the other line was Taiwanese and was really persistent. I told her I had 5-minutes before I had to head out. I remember something about a prize draw being held at Yonge-Dundas Square, but I didn't think much of it since I'd never attend some Asian community organization activity anyway.

Needless to say, I thought it was too good to be true so I told her to contact my mom to clarify the details. My mom's definitely weary of things like this, but she told me they didn't ask for any credit card details or personal information.

"It doesn't appear to be a scam, but why aren't you going?" she asked me.

"Because," I nearly squealed, "I got a call a few minutes ago saying they want me at the animation studio! I start next Monday!"

A week and a half ago, I received an email from the studio's HR head, asking me if I'm available for a recent opening. I find out later the producer I'd met in August had regret not hiring me and recommended me to be this executive producer's assistant.

"Lily ****! You gotta get her on board. She was fantastic!" she later told me.

We met on a Tuesday, the position sounded fantastic, and a week later, I got the job. This is completely different from my last gig as an EA because my relationship with my boss will include total transparency rather than secrecy. I'd be her right-hand woman, so to speak. She'd expect me to attend meetings with/for her, read all incoming scripts, travel with her, etc. And this woman, she is a hell of a firecracker! Originally from California, she worked in New York before being headhunted for this job in Toronto. She told me she loves this city, loves Canada, loves her job. That's someone I see myself wanting to work for, that joie de vivre. It's contagious. No doubt, the traveling perks are pretty good for me, too.

No comments: