Sunday, May 01, 2011

This is why I love my profession

Paul interviewed for a gig in the lighting department of an indie feature today. I tagged along and sat outside of earshot in the Starbucks where he was meeting with the producer and director (who were also twin brothers).

They didn't speak for long. I suggested that we both say goodbye to them.

"Are you an AD [assistant director]?" one of them piped up.

"Yes, you're ..." I tried to remember. "You attended the last AD caucus meeting!"

The next thing you know, I was in an animated conversation with them as Paul stood nearby, looking dumbfounded. The director said he remembered me because I was pretty outspoken during the union meeting (behaviour, unbeknownst to me, that was an anomaly among junior ADs because the atmosphere can be intimidating). He said I also had a "memorable face". Ha! He probably meant "Asian" because there aren't that many of us in the industry.

In any case, I slipped in my credentials and they enthusiastically took my business card. "So if you don't hire my boyfriend," I added half-seriously, "I'll be very angry."

"Don't worry," they said, "he has an in now."

Let's hope.

*sidenote: The three of us had talked so much that the next person scheduled for the interview arrived and had to wait for us to finish. Lo and behold, he had worked with Paul on another shoot! Needless to say, they had some catching up to do as well.

What a small world!

No comments: