Sunday, April 16, 2006

Tape

Banana Chic is visiting me for eight whole days! That is so crackin'. Although, I'm a bit disappointed because we planned to go to Paris this time this year, but I didn't receive notice of my award money until last week: way too late to take advantage of the deals. Crazy Pete offered to give me the keys to his apartment, too. He says he hates gay Paris - he's just forced to live there.

Oh well, there's always next year. And the year after that. And the year I go on my honeymoon. And the year I leave my alcoholic husband and win an all-expense paid vacation to France because Oprah felt sorry for me. Yeah ... I'll wait for that year to come.

***

HaiPhia called me an "over-achiever". I was taken aback by this comment. She said the difference between over-achievers and everyone else is that over-achievers refuse to hand in less-than-perfect work even on deadline, whereas no one else cares because they have nothing to prove.

I've always thought the definition of an over-achiever was synonymous with the A-type archetype: super goal-oriented, competitive, will stop at nothing to claw to the top.

It was disheartening to be labelled that. I mean, I have nothing to prove, but I still want to set a standard for myself even if it is based on someone else's. She says she can do things if she wanted to, but doesn't see a point trying to convince anyone that she can. I responded that perhaps that is the case, but after a while of not testing and evaluating your own abilities, you might not be able to do it if you wanted to.

For example, I was a math geek until high school, which is when I began to focus less on numbers and more on words. I had the math plaques to validate me, so I concentrated on my English studies instead (which continues to this day). Now, if you ask me what the N to the what over X to the who is, I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

"Whatever," she said, "I know can do it if I wanted to."

Then added: "Besides, over-achievers are assholes. Not to say you are, you're somewhat humble, but most of them are assholes. And I wouldn't want to be like them," she sniffed.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. But I don't see why I have to undermine my accomplishments and pretend I didn't deserve what I worked for just because it isn't cool to "care".

No comments: