Friday, November 11, 2005

Token Post

The only thing that keeps me from compulsively editing the latest entry is by writing a new one. But since I can't think of anything to say at four in the morning, I will make do with this rubber stopper.

***

My Morning Jacket. I listen to Z on repeat, over and over and over again, driven to pleasure, like an overeater at a buffet line.

It was the right decision to downplay the Lynyrd Skynyrd references and up the ante with more Pink Floyd-meets-Radiohead influences, yet emerging with something distinctly their own.

2005 has been a great year for indie rock. The sounds have ranged from mildly interesting to prodigiously complex. Truly great music.

***

Film Aesthetics has offered me the chance to explore the classics seriously. Welles, Murnau, Eisenstein, von Sternberg. I love it. I fucking love it. (The class, not Russian revolutionary propaganda.) But now. Now there's Keaton. The first movie I saw by him was The General and let me say, anyone who prefers him to Chaplin is a man after my own heart. I don't want to fan the flames of this country mouse/city mouse debate, but Keaton wins. Va chier, Chaplinites!

No comments: