Friday, October 28, 2005

Here I go, sermonizing again

The thing with customer service is that the people on the opposite end of the line tend to be most gracious and helpful when you bother to say your pleases and thank-yous. When my first wallet was stolen earlier this year, the MasterCard rep. went out of her job description to comfort me as she typed. I called the immigration offices in Toronto today to replace my citizenship card and was given a quote of $224. Egads! That's, like, one DKNY bag from their autumn/winter line. George, as he called himself, was quick to arrange for an appointment to help me gather all the important pieces of ID in one foul scoop. As of this entry, I am pretty much an illegal alien (without the whole hassle of seeking political asylum and making ends meet while waiting for my child to be pushed off a Tropicana transport truck at the agreed drop-off point). To be a recognized person within the geographic borders of superficial lines is to purely exist on paper because bureaucracy has made us fragments of ink and plastic. To be invisible is to lose proof of your license to benefit from the social contract thought up by Rousseau. It sort of feels like an eerie counterpart to Enlightenment values where the dichotomy lies between the right, at birth, to further individual pursuits through the state and the privilege of being born in a state where individual pursuits are encouraged. In such instances, stupid laminated cards don't seem so stupid anymore; a developed dependency complex for daily survival.

***

7 months until I enter the third decade of my life. Go ... 20s!

***

I don't know if you've noticed (actually, I didn't until HaiPhia brought it up), but I have a bad habit of forming theses under the most mundane conditions. They might not be coherent or even cogent, yet nothing stops me from over-intellectualizing from my keyboard. I'm not sure why I do this, maybe I just like to write, but I find the Hegelian dialectic process is relevant within the private domain as well as the public. I think it's not so much that we should constantly re-evaluate our behavior and the global community that shapes us, but that to challenge the everyday is to remember why we've chosen to live in repetitive motion and whether if that, indeed, suits us.

No comments: