Sunday, October 02, 2005

Brush

I've been in the "armpit" since Thursday and will be on my way back to Montreal this evening. Did an archival amount of soul searching with Sexy Spinster's help. Currently working to make my life unnecessarily difficult by purposely trying to refute John Milton's saccharine essay on censorship in an effort to advocate the devil in me. (*Note: during my History of Journalism class, I made the blasphemous assertion that his "Areopagitica made in impact on the course of journalism at all seeing how it contained excessive hyperbole and was politically irrelevent" and that "perhaps that's why he's better known as a poet" to the chagrin of my peers, but the amusement of my professor.) Still waiting for a reply to my email requesting that I use instead -- as my primary source of dissection -- a latter work of Milton's that elaborated on his initial strategy to "extirpate ... popery." I want to reveal how unrefined his apologia for free-speech is, how unrefined this theory if it only stands up for freedom prior to the fact (as in, punishment after publication is acceptable, just not before), decimating his rambling ode against the travails of imprimatur. Hells yeah!

It's just too easy to agree to the assigned question of whether Milton's reasons to want to eliminate the papal power is valid when he says it in the broadest of terms (capitalisations are his):

I mean not tolerated popery, and open superstition, which, as it extirpates all religions and civil supremecies, so itself should be extirpate, provided first that all charitable and compassionate means to be used to win and regain the weak and the misled: that also which is impious or evil absolutely either against faith or manners no law can possibly permit, that intends not to unlaw itself: but those neighbouring differences, or rather indifferences, are what I speak of, whether in some point of doctrine or of discipline, which, though they may be many, yet need not interrupt THE UNITY OF SPIRIT, if we could but find among us THE BOND OF PEACE.
--Areopagitica, 1644

The assigned question obviously wants to lead me to the obvious answer. Disagreeing with Milton would make me look like a bitter anti-UNITY OF SPIRIT, anti-BOND OF PEACE, bigot! Well, I'll show the professor because that's exactly what I'm planning to do: Disagree! And I'll show him who the real fiend is! (*Hint: Rhymes with Hilton.) Woohoo! I'm worked up and it feels good!

Math Judas just informed me it might also have to do with officially being handed over a few select pieces of property this weekend. To which I say ... Um, no.

Writing essays is exponentially more orgasmic.

No comments: