Saturday, May 14, 2005

Movie Night for One

I am leaving for the cinema in 15 minutes. Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and Born into Brothels will be tonight's treat (me, myself and I: always reliably thoughtful).

The first one because who doesn't want to understand the bastards who concocted -- who purposely created -- the rolling blackouts in California a few years ago that ended lives, literally and otherwise.

The second because, well, I love photojournalism and what a premise: Kids from Calcutta and the red light district. I was going to ask M. Biologique to come along since he's been there with his mom who occasionally works her humanitarian powers there, but I reckoned he wouldn't have appreciated the gesture.

I'm tired, I'd imagine him say; It's just a movie, I'd hear.

But movies aren't rolling ribbons of images. They're a rare opportunity that challenges your most limiting senses, usually soothed and pacified in a world of your own choosing. Films take that away. Films take you away.

Good ones anyway.

No comments: