Friday, April 08, 2005

Stool

*UPDATE*
I didn't make the deadline, but I made a request for an extension. My excuse? "Last time I rely on parents' shoddy driving skills and vague reassurances." I'm apparently out of town, which means ... awww ... Professor Punk personally invited me to this party, too! Wah, wah ... meh. Really don't think I'll be missing much.

I'm 18-years-old, damnit! I can lie if I want to! ... now let me rinse away my sins underneath some scalding hot water.

Why didn't I do something easier, like the use of stereotypes in movies or Shakira's 15-minutes of booty-shaking, Pepsi-endorsing, peroxide-abusing fame? I had carte blanche, man! Carte blanche!

***

M. Biologique woke me up from my afternoon nap to tell me he was coming over for dinner. I agreed to it, still groggy and confused. I cooked him a hearty meal and he, in the midst of recalling memories, brought up my crawling into bed with him of time immortal. Why? Because he liked it (and still doesn't know the meaning of "hands off the merchandise").

We're going to watch Sin City Saturday and he's taking me out to a proper cafe/bistro somewhere in the Plateau area. Well, it's about time his dad sent money from Stockholm. We're just friends, but I would've gone for broke if this New Mexican hippie had waited any longer.

***

This informal, 2500-word, COMS essay is due in 6 hours, and I'm just slowly chugging away at it for the sake of chugging away:

Communications can be roughly defined as the transmission of thoughts, ideas and information through signals, writing, speech or behaviour. In other words, the act of communicating is inherently human, the brick and mortar of all sociological structures and development of mutual kinship. Indeed, the word "development" connotes an ultimate destination, a goal, by which certain agendas are fulfilled. On the surface, this seems simple enough: a clearly encoded message will result in a clearly decoded response, subsequently provoking action in the process. However, in practice, the embedded intention is not always made readily apparent because the individual may not wish to accomplish a physical task, but a desire to maintain, intensify or deintensify a relationship with another person. An innoxious climate is encouraged between parties in order to set up successful future encounters that might eventually require the acquisition of material gains (which is easier to attain by means of cooperation). This is familiarly known as "politeness." For modern readers, the word harkens back images of Victorian rigidity, a product of repression, or perhaps clinking glasses at a formal affair, conduct conditioned by culture. The reality is much more strategic and nuanced than that, rooted in primitivity and perpetuated by complexity. The purpose of this essay is to examine the motivations behind this category of interaction through anthropological, sociological, psychological and philosophical filters. It is not enough to ask what the reason behind this minor undertaking is, but why?

No comments: