Tuesday, December 28, 2004

In sickness and health

I feel so useless because I can't help. The confirmed deaths from Sunday's tsunami disaster has, on last count, risen to 63,000 along with millions of displaced innocents. I emailed the president of Concordia's Student Union asking whether something could be organized in light of this tragedy. I also asked whether there was a possibility in which the Canadian Red Cross, Unicef Canada and/or World Vision could be contacted to help deliver student donations to hapless survivors.

Victims might have to face possible outbreaks of disease after the initial shock of losing everything subsides. I can't - I refuse to - imagine how I would react under the same sort of circumstances. I have been hypnotized in front of my computer screen while encompassed in modern comforts. This absolutely kills me because I acknowledge my ineffectualness and reel from such sodden existential awareness.

No comments: