Thursday, June 03, 2004

*WARNING: TWO STORIES, ONE WITH A POINT, THE OTHER ABOUT SHOPPING

I can't emphasize how great of a day today has been.

The surrealism ... was just mind-boggling.

I'll start from the beginning.

SUNDAY, MAY 30: Agreed to hang out with the German and his sister in Toronto, and show them around.

"Can you skip work?" they asked.

"I'll think of something," came the answer.

MONDAY, MAY 31: Told my editor that, ooh, I had a "funeral" to attend on Thursday, so I'll only be able to show up at work for half of the shift, leaving at around 1:30 in the afternoon.

"*Sigh* Funeral, eh?"

"People die, sir."

TUESDAY, JUNE 1: Received an email from school CO-OP supervisor that they would be evaluating the ISU presentation displays concerning our placements this Thursday and told us to arrive at 1:15 to help set up, and stay from 2 to 3 p.m. to be judged.

I called supervisor at work:

"So, what you're saying is, I have to be there from 1:15 to 3?"

"That's right Lily. Will that be a problem?"

"About that. I, uh, have a funeral to go to."

"Aww! Oh no! Who died?"

"You know ... an aunt of my mom's, but it's in Toronto!"

"Well okay then, we'll arrange it so you'll be judged first."

Sweet, I thought to myself, I can catch the 3 o'clock bus to Toronto and get there by 4. I felt so guilty though; this was my first lie that wasn't used to cover up something, but more so, cover up something in the near future.

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2: German and I exchanged emails and got things organized for tomorrow. He said his sister wanted more time to shop, so they'll be there in the morning, rather than go with me in the afternoon. I said that would be fine, and told him I'd meet him at the MuchMusic building at 4:30 to 5.

THURSDAY, JUNE 3: All hell broke loose.

I caught up with Shotgun Toter in the library.

"Let's go, go, go, go! I told my art teacher I'll be back soon for class!" I said.

"But I don't have any money," she replied.

"That's okay, I do! Let's go, go, go! Last chance before I get caught!"

"But I don't have a bus ticket."

"That's okay, I do! Let's go, go, go!"

So we left to go buy chicken wings at Fortinos. I went home to get my cell phone, ate, left my wallet on the shoe stand, realized I forgot it while getting ready to pay for the chicken at Fortinos, went home to get it, and hopped on the bus for school.

"What? You going to school?" Best Hair asked while I was a stone's throw away from the place.

"Yeah, why?"

"People are bleeding through their nose and vomitting blood!"

"You're such a fucker. Haha."

"Seriously!"

"What?!"

Apparently, there was a gas leak in the math hall and students in the math class/es were spilling blood everywhere through their facial orifices. The paramedics came, along CH News. We were dismissed for the day. Basically, my wish to skip school and CO-OP to go shop was fulfilled by something that was even more morbid than my pitiful lie. The irony, the irony.

***

I took the bus down to the GO Station (*time coincided with best friend getting almost-molested by Math Jesus; I'd like to add that I hate him now*) and bought a two-way ticket to Toronto.

Since I was arrived early (blame it on the bleeding children), I browsed the Chinatown supermarket. Thought I'd get some navel oranges for the German since they were on sale, but gave in to a box of white chocolate and almond covered biscuit sticks instead (oh God, that sounded so maternal-ish). After waiting 30 minutes for each other for half an hour on opposite sides of the same MuchMusic corner (JC Chasez was doing an interview a few feet away), German, his sister and I finally met up.

They already did the bulk of their shopping that morning. He got these really nice runners from Aldo (which resembled his Dockers, but beige; tres nice).

I took them to Yonge St. and searched for 3/4 length shorts for the German (he's 6'2" or 6'3") at Urban Outfitters, asking the incompetent hipster employee whether there was something for him.

A for effort, but the German still left empty-handed.

I took them to my aunt's Chinese restaurant down the street, and she just piled on the food (all of it free). And by "aunt" I mean, my mom's best friend since she came to Canada 15 years ago. She even offered to give me a hundred bucks to shop around, since I don't come to Toronto as often as I'd like. But I graciously refused the (tantalizing) offer.

"You no want 100? I give you 500 dollah!"

She brought out the bills to a shocked German.

Of the six or seven dishes that were sampled and hoovered down, three were left half eaten. The German siblings couldn't take it home because she might be leaving tomorrow, and I didn't want it either. So I suggested that we give it to the homeless.

The first two "urchins" were absolutely delirious, they were so grateful. Marie, the sister, was so happy she brought smiles to their faces that she couldn't wait to give out the third box of food.

"No, I was just fed by the the radio station."

"No, I'm not hungry."

"No, I want to eat, but not Chinese food."

Damn, picky homeless people

Her offer was finally accepted by some guy with a beard sitting on a grate, and we headed back. Got home at 11, sitting on the bus with a fidgety Black guy who kept touching his clothes, and folding and re-folding the creases on his jeans.

Best day today. German and I might go to play pool again next weekend. I want to kick someone's ass in that game.

Someone's. Anyone's. His.

No comments: