Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Aunt's store

Went to Toronto and shopped at my aunt's store. Well, "shopped" isn't the right word since I didn't exactly "buy" anything I stuffed in that bag of mine.

"Charge it," I intoned the sales girl. "Mom's paying."

Of course, my mother (and the rest of my wildly eccentric family in the non-drug culture hippie-type way) reckoned that she was going to Montreal, come hell and high water.

My aunt invited me to Toronto and so I went ... by GO Bus ... alone ... in the city. 'Twas great. Alone with my thoughts, the silence punctured only by the sounds of mechanical beeping from someone's Game Boy (damn you, Tetris!)

This was, indeed, the big city. The expensive cars zoomed by like in those Mazda ads where the bright-eyed boy contracts whiplash caused by his curious stare. Okay, not so big. Nothing like, say, New York City, that mighty king of kings of upright architecture.

I got a few quirky T-shirts, but the coup de grace (I'm sure I'm using that phrase in the wrong context) were these lime green, ballet-slipper shaped, sci-fi runner-inspired shoes my aunt gave me. So comfortable, this close to making me forget how short I am to wear them (but didn't stop me from wearing them today, with my black, ruched, cut-off, cargo pants).

Mom called me mid-trip and told me she had visited the Loyola Campus for Concordia University.

"It's beautiful," she chimed through the crackling crap cell phone.

***

Today, Fil did his philosophy presentation and brought in the Matrix. Damn that movie! However, the anticipated excitement from knowing that he would be talking about Hume overrode any negative feelings I had for that trilogy-o'-trash.

Where to start? Hume put the class into a tailspin. I'm such a devoted follower of this guy (I once lied and said I was very familiar with Jeremy Bentham's utilitarian philosophy [from the one time philosophy class I took], just so I could help this girl out during her presentation since she didn't research Miller's works all that thoroughly), so Fil and I took on the class.

But that was a total failure because no one knew what the hell was going on.

"Jenn? What are your thoughts?" asked Fil.

"I ... I'm sleepy," she replied.

I mean, Hume, to me, revolutionized the way we saw things. He didn't say whether our senses deceived us or should actually be trusted, but that how we interpret what our senses give us may be part of human conditioning, rather than logical reasoning.

Anyway, blah blah blah, it was a rockin' good presentation; a great epoch of English Lit.

***

Men blow. So now they start paying attention to girls like me.

No comments: