Friday, January 16, 2004

I'll tell you what rocks the rockin' rock. Potato pancakes. Also known as "latkes". My grandma makes them for me with the addition of ground pork. Yes, I see the irony in that. My friend, Hanukkah Bush, tells me all the time.

Reading recipes is hot. Such as this one for latkes:

4 large potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled
1 medium onion (about 1/2 pound)
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1 large egg
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
about 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for frying

Grate potatoes and onion. Transfer to colander and squeeze mixture to press out as much liquid as possible. In a large bowl, mix potatoes, parsley, egg, salt, pepper, flour and baking powder.

Heat oil in a deep, heavy skillet. For each pancake, drop about 2 tablespoons of potato mixture into pan. Flatten with back of spoon so each pancake is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. Fry over medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. Turn carefully with 2 spatulas so oil does not splatter. Serve hot with applesauce, or sour cream, or sugar.

Mmm mmm mmm, call me a shiksa and get me a latke!

Okay, so I was too lazy to write a real entry today. Still, forget Jackie Collins. Nothing's sexier than a pancake ... a potato pancake. Okay, maybe chocolate cake. That comes close.

No comments: