Saturday, September 27, 2003

On Sage Words of Advice

My parents are first generation Indians.

They came to America to start a new life and to give their children a world of opportunities that they didn't have.

One of these opportunities is the great privilege of having sex with many different partners in an unsafe and hedonistic environment.

When I was 13, my Dad, my dear, sweet, father, decided that it was time he told me about this amazing opportunity.

Knock, knock, knock went the bedroom door, and a muffled voice asked, "Noo-poor, can I come in (imagine thick Indian accent)?"

"Uh, yeah, sure, Pops," I said as I hid my comic books under the bed. "Come on in."

"Noo-poor," my Dad began, "there is many things in America which is deeferent than India. People doing the things which we were never doing. They are doing the drugs, the cocaine, the Telewizion."

"Yeah, Dad, I know."

"I want to tell you one thing," he paused for a moment, then looked at the ceiling, and then back down again. "Use a condom." Then he lept out of the room and stormed down the stairs.

I'll never forget that moment, when my Dad opened his heart and said, "Use a condom." In his own way, I think that "Use a condom" really meant, "I love you."

I just can't wait to talk to my kids one day, and they'll forever remember the day when I'll say, "Don't eat after 10 p.m. or you'll get fat like you're old man."

How true, how very true.

--Nupe


*How very true, indeed.

No comments: